Clicky Web Analytics

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Notes on Ch. 12-15 Taxonomies of the School Library Media Program 2nd Ed. by David Loertscher

"Like other levels of the model, however, it is easy to spend an inordinate amount of time on direct services and ignore the information infrastructure and the four central program elements." So true.

I'd like to get students to do reading advisory through our catalog. I imagine a catalog that is Amazon like in that it will list reviews by students of the books that are held in the library.

I'd also like to work on business and national partnerships.

If my number one problem is lack of support staff, I need to create job descriptions of each of the things that could be delegated.

Six principles of collection development:

1. The collection of the library media center must be appropriate for the community a school draws from.
2. A plan to build a curricular-oriented collection with the accompanying policies, staff expertise, and realistic budgeting practices is in place.
3. An acquisition system that matches curricular priorities is in place.
a. How do you select your materials? Mostly I try to get feedback from others, then I try to see gaps in our collection that need to be filled, finally I try to get books that have received awards.
b. How do you prioritize your purchases? Text books first - then texts found in the bibliographies of text books, then faculty requests, then student requests.
c. How do you keep track of spending in terms of curricular support? I don't. This is an area for growth.
4. Each type of media included in the library media center is considered a system consisting of the materials, the accompanying equipment, the support staff, and facilities, among other concerns.
5. Collections in single schools are constantly changing to meet current needs.
6. Collections reflect democratic ideas, intellectual freedom, and cultural diversity.

I need to review the collection policy made in the past and develop a collection mapping plan using the model on pg. 210.

I'd like to create the Experimental Learning Commons and one of the first steps will be creating the Teacher Respite area-- both physically and virtually.

We covered a lot of evaluation in the management class and I have been to a Balanced Scorecard seminar, so much of the last chapter was a review.

No comments: