Clicky Web Analytics

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

#16 (WEEK 7) "the simplest online database that could possibly work"

I started this Discovery Exercise on two fronts: first looking at the Wikipedia entry on wikis and second looking at each of the library wikis. It seems to me no understanding of the wiki would be complete without a look at its creator, Ward Cunningham. It was also interesting to take a look at the very first wiki. I learned of Wikipedia years before I learned about wikis, so it was strange to learn that an interface that I was used to using in Wikipedia could be used in other ways. Incidentally for you wordsmiths, here is "wiki"'s etymology.

The library wikis were interesting, but few of them seemed to have a robust community. When there aren't many people using a wiki everyday and it is open to public posts I think you can get a lot of spamming, see my earlier post.

On the plus side, I've suggested that the Position Statements Committee in the BAISL association do its work on a wiki. I think wiki's are particularly strong for committee writing. If you are thinking about starting a wiki yourself this is a good comparison of wiki hosting sites out there.

Finally in the random but interesting category I found this site on kamishibai through a library wiki.

1 comment:

Terry Lai, SFUSD Teacher Librarian said...

Welcome to Winter SLL 2.0 and being a new member of CSLA. This post is very informational and involved. I spent quite a bit of time looking at the links. WoW!

Terry Lai