Clicky Web Analytics

Monday, January 21, 2008

My opinion of Second Life and a request for "Google History"

I have played around a little bit with Second Life, making an avatar and some exploration.  My opinion so far is that operating in 3d environments is the inevitable future of the internet but I'm afraid that Second Life is going to be the Betamax of these 3d environments.  The user interface is too complicated to attract large numbers of people.   And as much as 2nd life doesn't want to be compared to games like World of Warcraft, until the interface is as beautiful, easy, and bug-free as these types of games, people will always wonder why in the hell they would want to do anything- learning or otherwise there.  I'm sure that Google is preparing for the 3d environments that are on the way.  Learn Sketch-Up and be ahead of the curve.  I can't wait until we see a mashup of Google Earth and 3d environments created in Sketch-Up with historical simulations so that you could actually watch historical events occur.  Just as now Google Earth is a realistic model of the earth, "Google History" would be a realistic model of global history.  You will be able to rewind and fast forward through history.  Most of the data required for this kind of simulation tool already exists, Google just needs to hurry up and create it already.  Sorry, I'm impatient to see the future.



3 comments:

Becca said...

In the edublogs awards, I was surprised to discover that a middle school teacher made a foray into Second Life with her class.

Terry Lai, SFUSD Teacher Librarian said...

Wow! I have had a miniscule intro to 2nd Life. I was going to participate in an online tutorial, but felt uncomfortable in the environment. So I did not do it. Thank you for the SJSU film. It helps to put the power of this tool into a better prospective. Thank you for your blog. It makes me think.

watermole said...

Thank you for commenting!